ScienceWeek: "Like their free-living ancestors, both chloroplasts and mitochondria divide. Organelle division, segregation, and growth are often uncoupled from the cell division cycle, indicating that organelle and cell division are independent processes. Division of mitochondria and chloroplasts is orchestrated by multicomponent protein machines that assemble and drive the constriction and fission of the organellar membranes. Because both organelles are surrounded by inner and outer membranes that differ in composition, their division machines must accomplish the synchronized constriction of both membranes, the subsequent fusion of the four lipid bilayers, the final separation of the two daughter organelles, and possibly the resolution of the fused membranes back into two discrete bilayers."
- Return HOME
- â« A â« B â« C â« D â« E â« F â« G â« H â« I â« J â« K â« L â« M â« N â« O â« P â« Q â« R â« S â« T â« U â« V â« W â« X â« Y â« Z â« animations â« diagrams â« images â« micrographs â« tables â« sem/tem â« videos â«
- comments anyone?
- Ç ScienceWeek
- Ç New Cellular Evolution Theory Rejects Darwinian As...
- Ç MECHANISMS OF, AND BARRIERS TO, HORIZONTAL GENE TR...
- Ç A molecular timeline for the origin of photosynthe...
- Ç Evidence for the establishment of aphid-eubacteriu...
- Ç A secondary symbiosis in progress?
- Ç Gene switching in Amoeba proteus caused by endosym...
- Ç Evolution of flagella
- Ç Shaping the mitochondrial proteome.
- Ç The apicoplast: a review of the derived plastid of...
- â¦ A â¦ B â¦ C â¦ D â¦ E â¦ F â¦ G â¦ H â¦ I â¦ J â¦ K â¦ L â¦ M â¦ N â¦ O â¦ P â¦ Q â¦ R â¦ S â¦ T â¦ U â¦ V â¦ W â¦ X â¦ Y â¦ Z â¦ animation index â¦ diagram index â¦ image index â¦ micrograph index â¦ table index â¦ sem/tem index â¦ video index â¦
- â¢ â¢ SITE MAP
- comments anyone?
Glossary Alphabetic Sections
Glossary Alphabetic Items
When visiting an item, the site title changes to purple â click on the title or âHomeâ to return to the main page. Most images will enlarge with a click.
This site is under construction. All mistakes are mine, and so must the remedies be...if you don't choose to edify me.
Site for educational purposes only. All posted images created by site author - all rights reserved.
- Abiogenesis & Evolution
- Algorithms of Evolution
- Cell Biology
- Chemistry of Life
- Evo Devo
- Mechanisms of Evolution
- Molecular Biology
- Origin of Life
- Refuting ID
- Serial Endosymbiosis
- Stem & Progenitor
- Taxonomy Phylogeny